I am a chocolate junkie. I’ve been to rehab more times than Amy Winehouse can say “nooooo, noooo, no,” I’m surrounded by warm fuzzy memories of my mother slipping out the electric beaters metallic arm and letting me lick the chocolate batter clean off them. But the fact still remains, chocolate is not the healthiest option out there. But if you’re good and sick of your ten thousandth chia seed, kale induced protein smoothie take a break and treat yo’self it’s the weekend after all.
So I found this one bowl recipe here http://allrecipes.com/recipe/17981/one-bowl-chocolate-cake-iii/ I’ve made it a few times and this weekend was the one where I eliminate the 1/4 cup of honey that I usually put in it. So basically I tweaked the shiz out of it to make something super low in sugar and I got rid of all that nasty vegetable oil and viola I transformed this recipe into a wonderfully light iridescent moist double chocolate one bowl cake! I’m not just saying that it’s like the best thing I did all weekend.
Since I live in Japan it is extremely difficult to get my hands on gluten free flour mix. Although I think if you used gluten free cake mix the outcome would be similar because there is so much moisture that you won’t notice the difference. Like all things in life make it your own and have fun and let me know how it all goes down. Comment me! Love me! Share me!
Healthy Sugar Free One Bowl Double Chocolate Cake
A super easy to make chocolate cake with no refined sugar or saturated fats.
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 Ttsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet/bitter chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup soy/almond/coconut milk
- 3/4 cup organic apple sauce
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C)
- Grease a 9 by 9 loaf pan or any pan you like with coconut butter. Then moisturise your lips with the leftover oil! Score!
- Get yourself a big bowl and add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt. Mix these ingredients while listening to some awesome beats or watching Gossip Girl (my current Netflix binge).
- Add the egg, now melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler or microwave and add as well.
- Throw in the coconut oil, vanilla, your choice of milk, apple sauce and stir, stir stir. It may look a little clumpy but don’t fret your pretty little head.
- Next boil some water and add it to the batter. Mix well until everything is incorporated and it’s still okay if there are a few clumps but try your best to get it smooth.
- Now put in the oven for 30-35 minutes until a fork or toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- You can store in an airtight container for up to 4 days and I like to freeze half so I don’t over load myself. But that is entirely up to you… no judgement from me!