Looking for a Panko or bread crumb alternative for chicken strips? Here we are using oatmeal, coconut oil in an innovative and yes may be strange combination to recreate that crunch crunch you know and love without all the added carbs and fat! Enjoy this healthy protein snack on the go, for dinner or after your daily workout!
So I was looking online for an easy chicken tenders or strips recipe that would use ‘lean chicken meat’ and not have a ton of breading and/or butter. Apparently, these things don’t exist, or if they do I have bad googling skills and therefore I retired and made up my own recipe. Alas, the saying rings true, ‘If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself’. So I set off on another one of my culinary experiments and I have to say this one is dang tasty and pretty easy peasy to make.
My boyfriend Chen and I are forever seeking the ultimate ‘protein’ snack. Since we both work late into the day we want something to have for a mid afternoon snack that won’t bog us down or add too many points to our caloric intake.
If you didn’t know this already chicken is a SUPER FOOD. I love that term, super food, it turns meaningless hum drum everyday words like chicken, quinoa or chia into a language extravaganza. I mean would you like ‘some chicken’ or would you prefer ‘some SUPER FOOD’? Everything tastes better in a bolded text? Don’t you think? Anyway, Chicken if you didn’t know has a very low fat content and is very high in protein, meaning you can eat a lot without gaining weight and it will give you the fuel you need to push through those last minutes of your FOREVER stretching day…. OKAY, but this post is not about that it is about my fantastic amazing healthy oatmeal chicken protein strips! So let’s get to it then, shall we?
Healthy Oatmeal Chicken Protein Strips
Enjoy this healthy protein snack on the go, for dinner or after your daily workout!
-1-2 Tablespoons of coconut oil/your choice of oil for cooking
-1 teaspoon paprika
-1 teaspoon chilli powder
-1 teaspoon salt
-1 teaspoon pepper
-1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
-1/2 cup white/gluten free mix/whole wheat flour
-3/4 cup of steel cut oats (coarsely processed)
-2-3 chicken breasts cut into tender like strips
- to make the oat flour it is super easy, place the oats into a food processor and pulse about 20 seconds. You want it to be close to a flour texture but also have a few oat pieces to give it THAT CRUNCH. Just fool around and trust your gut, don’t worry everything will work out in the end
- mix all dry ingredients in a bowl
- in a separate bowl add two eggs and mix well.
- coat the chickens strips in the dry flour mixture making sure you coat each side completely. You don’t want to see any skin. It’s like Catholic school all over again!!
- then dip the floured chicken strip in the egg and then back into the flour.
- heat a skillet over med-high heat
- use coconut oil at the base and cook one side until light brown approximately 3 minutes.
- when browned turn over and turn heat down to medium while placing a lid on top.
- cook for a few more minutes until browned.
- Then cut one strip and see if it’s cooked, take a bite! I dare you. It’s amazing and you’ll kick yourself asking why you haven’t been eating this your whole life. Don’t worry, now you can.