So this recipe came to me by accident a few weeks ago. I had purchased some cashews knowing that I wanted to make cashew butter. As I began the preparations for making it I realised I had forgotten to use the coconut oil sitting on my kitchen counter. So I decided to throw it in. To my surprise the result was a liquid mess. I was really disappointed and deflated that my experiment had turned a rye. I decided to throw the jar of butter in the fridge not very hopeful of what would happen. The next day I cracked open the fridge unscrewed the top and viola – amazing coconut cashew butter awaited! So I cooked up this recipe in honour of my triumph. These cookies are like a lighter shortbread with a nice gooey buttery inside. So whatever you’re plans are this Holiday Season I hope you enjoy this recipe. (Also, a tip for all you toaster oven owners out there, if you are using the baking sheet just remove it from the oven and add tin foil to it to make an impromptu cookie sheet! That trick lasted me two years!) Much love G.
Coconut Cashew Butter
½ cup of unsalted cashews
3 tablespoons of extra-virgin coconut oil
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
Coconut Cashew Butter Cookies
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup of cashew coconut butter
¼ cup of butter
¾ cup of white sugar
2-3 tablespoons of honey
1 teaspoon of vanilla
- Preheat oven to 190˚C (375˚F)For the cashew butter, put cashews into a blender. Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil at a time. Mix for a minute or two. Then add remaining oil in intervals. Make the cashew coconut butter a few hours before making the cookies. It’s okay if your butter looks runny, it will harden in the fridge.
- To make the cookies mix flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and set aside. In another bowl, mix cashew coconut butter, sugar and honey with a hand mixer on low speed.
- Once the ingredients are all mixed add one egg at a time. Next add the vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture into the wet mixture. Make sure to add it slowly and incorporate the ingredients before adding more.
- Once combined, roll into small spoon sized balls and press the top lightly.
- Bake at 190˚C for about 10 minutes or until the sides have browned a little bit. Then enjoy!